It was a simple yet effective project that not only met the aims of the Club, but Child Health Nurses who distributed the books found it a valuable benefit to them, because it provided -
* a positive introduction to the new mothers, who may have been wary of a trip to the Clinic
* a vehicle to introduce the concept of the importance of reading to very young children, even if you don't use the right words
* to talk about books, show new mums how to make their own books and that it is even beneficial to read sales catalogues
* the attention span of a very young child is very short, but they will still look at the pages and by six months will be grabbing for the book
* once they have got the idea about the importance of reading, it gains momentum.
In 2006 "Books for Babies" was superseded by an alternative program organised by the Centre of Community Child Health, but after funding was withdrawn, we are very pleased to announce that the Rotary Club of Tamar Sunrise Inc., will be re-launching this wonderful program in October 2012. We are now providing 500 books to Child Health Nurses to enable a book to be presented to every new baby born in the Rocherlea, Invermay, Ravenswood, Mowbray, Mayfield and Waverley areas.
Rotary Club of Tamar Sunrise